Federal State-Financed Educational Institution of Higher Education
“Volga State University of Water Transport”
Federal State-Financed Educational Institution of Higher Education (FSFEI HE) "VSUWT" (founded in 1930) is a major territorial and industrial education complex, which includes the head institution, four affiliations (providing both secondary professional and higher professional education), in Kazan, Astrakhan, Samara, Perm, Nizhny Novgorod River College named after I. P.Kulibin, a training center, that provides retraining of water transport managers and specialists, a complex of marine simulators, a research center of legal support of inland waterway transport, the Educational and Scientific Production Center "Ship repair."
Volga University is a public educational institution of higher education, under the responsibility of the Federal Agency of Maritime and River Transport (Rosmorrechflot), and is licensed to conduct educational activities in the field of higher, secondary, vocational and postgraduate education.
It is authorized to issue official standard certificates of education, award Candidate of Technical and Economic Sciences degrees. At present, more than 18,500 people are taught at the educational complex: students, who get their bachelor’s, master’s degrees or diplomas, trainees, and technical specialists who receive a second degree.
The quality of training is primarily determined by the state of the facilities and equipment and the professional level of the teaching staff. The academic complex includes premises with the total area of over 50,500 square meters that comprise lecture rooms, simulators, 34 computer classes, assembly halls, libraries, sports centers, museum fleet, and other academic and administrative offices.
More than five hundred assistants and professors are involved in the educational process. They train specialists for the whole water transport infrastructure, including fleet, ports, ship repair companies, educational institutions, research institutes and other departments of the field. There are 36 courses of higher professional education and 18 courses of secondary professional education.
Thus, the current education system of maritime and river transport personnel training has been developed for years.
The high quality education at FSFEI HE"VSUWT" is provided with modern material and technical basis, a wide range of topical scientific research that is done by the University professors, their international activities. It can be illustrated by a number of examples.
The University owns a unique set of training simulators, which are the envy of many Russian transport educational institutions. There are following simulators and their functions:
• The training planetarium u171 «Carl Zeiss" to study the celestial map;
• The simulator N8- 2500 (made by the firm "Vector") is used for the real time navigation plot;
• The simulator NTPro-4000 (made by the company "Transas") to get hands-on skills in ship control under various sailing conditions;
• The navigation simulator NMS-90 MK III (made by the firm "Norkontrol") provides the conventional training of students, Navy officers according to the programs of Radar Observation and Plotting, Automatic Radar Plotting Aids, "The use of the ship's radar on inland waters and waterways ";
• The ship mechanic simulator "Norkontrol" is used to train students and cadets of mechanical specialty how to manage ship power plants;
• The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Navigation simulator (by the company "Transas") is used for the conventional training of students, Navy officers according to the programs of the "Global Marine Distress Means";
• The Training Centre for Natural and Man-made Crisis Prevention (by the company "Transas") is used to train students and professionals according to the program "The elimination of oil spills on inland waterways";
• The educational and training vessel "Academician" is used for the conventional training of navigators, cadets according to the program of Damage control.
The attention of leading scientists of theUniversity is focused on solving of topical problems in the field of water transport development:
• developing of the transportation organization and the efficiency of transport systems (A.G. Malishkin, V.N. Zakharov, V.I. Kozhukhar);
• modeling of dynamic processes, management and optimization of transport systems based on the new information and communication technologies (Y.S Fedossenko, M.I. Feigin);
• controllability of ships and navigational safety (A.N. Klementyev);
• development and maintenance of the transport fleet (E.P. Ronnov, S.N. Jilin);
• economics and management of geographically-transport complexes, development of the main energy saving directions in transport; legal provision of inland waterway transport (V. I. Mineev, V.I. Zhmachinsky, S.S. Podosenov);
• waterways and ports (A.N. Sitnov, R.D. Frolov);
• logistics, transportation technology and marketing (V.N. Kostrov);
• fault detection, repair and modernization of water transport and transport engineering (A.S. Kurnikov, I.A. Volkov, A.B. Kornev);
• bifurcation theory of dynamical systems and its application in physical systems and transport processes (V.N. Beluh);
The concept of Russian education modernization emphasizes the importance of professional education and its technical side. In this regard, the topical line of development is to found educational, research and innovation complexes (ERIC).
The first ERIK "The Mechanic" has been set up and has started its activities. The use of such complexes leads to the merging of educational, industrial and scientific innovation processes and results in the integration of higher education and the real economy sector: shipping companies, shipyards, small businesses. It is particularly important to emphasize that this system ensures the unity of the educational process, research and innovation at all levels of training taking into consideration real needs of the industry.
In the university there are 5 departments and 26 chairs.
(The Dean - Associate Professor S.G. Yakovlev)
The department offers a range of degree courses at different levels: “Maintenance of Ports and Transport Terminals Cargo Handling Equipment”, “Ship power plants operation”, “Maintenance of Ship Electrical Equipment and Automatic Facilities”, “Operation and maintenance of transport radio equipment”. The department includes six chairs. The department graduates work for federal transport enterprises, design and project organisations, take key positions of related qualifications at shore enterprises, shipping companies, departments of waterways management.
Shipbuilding, hydraulic and environmental engineering Department
(The Dean - Associate Professor A. V. Ivanov)
The department offers three degree courses: “Shipbuilding”, “Hydraulic Engineering” (specialization “Waterways, ports, water transport facilities and shelf facilities”), “Environmental Engineering”, “Shipbuilding, Ocean Engineering and Systems Engineering of Marine Infrastructure”, “Construction”, “Technosphere Safety”. The faculty includes five chairs. The department graduates work for project and design organizations, shipping companies, departments of waterways management, shipyards and ship repair shops.
(The Dean - Associate Professor M.Y.Churin)
The department offers a degree course "Navigation" to work aboard sea and river going vessels. The training involves modern methods and teaching techniques, the use of specialized simulators in full accordance with of International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification Watchkeeping for Seafarers as well as training cargo vessel “Aleksander Popov”. The graduates of the department work for Russian and overseas shipping companies, their education meets the international and professional requirements, many of them have become masters of sea and river going vessels, heads of major shipping companies.
Economics and Management Department
(The Dean – PhD O.N. Frolova)
The department offers three degree courses at different levels: "Economics and Management of Transport", "Organization Management", "Transportation Organization and Transport Management". The graduates of the department work for shipping companies, port administrations, departments of waterways management and navigation, inspection, analytical services, auditing, consulting and marketing firms. They constitute top managers of banks, tax-levying inspection, organizations of various proprietorship forms and are leading specialists of enterprises.
(The Dean - Associate Professor S.V. Krepak)
The department offers a degree course "Jurisprudence" to meet the demands of transport enterprises and organizations, transport law enforcement bodies in skilled personnel. The future lawyers acquire experience and professional skills when they undergo practical training at prosecutor offices, courts, law offices. The department includes four chairs. The graduates work for transport organisations, law enforcement bodies, state and municipal organisations.
The university research fields:
- The bifurcation theory of dynamical systems and its application in physical systems and transport processes;
- Waterways and ports;
- Fault detection, repair and modernization of water transport and transport engineering;
- Logistics, transportation technology and marketing;
- Dynamic processes modeling, management and optimization of transport systems on the basis of new information and communication technologies;
- Developing of the transportation organization and the efficiency of transport systems;
- Ship theory, applied ecology, ship and environmental protection facilities;
- Controllability of ships and navigational safety;
- Handling of ships and navigational safety
- Economics and management of territorial transport complexes, development of the main energy saving directions in transport; legal provision of inland waterway transport.
Engineering center "Ecological, Hydrometeorological and Energy Safety of Urbanized Areas."
The aim of the interdisciplinary engineering center founded by three N.Novgorod universities (Volga State University of Water Transport, Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod, Nizhny Novgorod State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering) and the Department of Roshydromet in Volga Federal Region is bring together the technological capabilities of the participating universities with Roshydromet as a target customer of research services.
The Interdisciplinary Engineering Center is equipped with unique scientific equipment, mobile environmental laboratories, mechanical workshops to manufacture prototypes of equipment under the guidance of highly qualified scientists and engineers. The objectives of the center is to implement projects that are relevant to the Nizhny Novgorod region. The priority projects run the following ones:
- Development a comprehensive long-term regional program "Recycling and utilization of hazardous anthropogenic waste";
- Alternative concepts of long-term development of Cheboksary and Gorky water reservoirs in Nizhny Novgorod region, providing a comprehensive solution of environmental problems, hydrometeorological, energy security, protection against flooding of coastal areas, providing navigation;
- Development of a comprehensive long-term regional program "Engineering protection of urbanized areas of Nizhny Novgorod region", "High-quality water supply of economy and population of Nizhny Novgorod region" and "Recycling of industrial waste."
The Technology Transfer Center
The Technology Transfer Center "Volga State University of Water Transport" (FSFEI HE "VSUWT") is a certified member of the Russian Technology Transfer Network (www.rttn.ru). The center has the right to head the sector "Water transport and its infrastructure" in Russia. The center technology puts its requests and offers on the Russian Technology Transfer Network.
Student Design Bureau
Student Design Bureau at the Volga State University of Water Transport is a team of talented students, professors and engineers who can get real-life experience and study in the field of shipbuilding and engineering:
- Development of conceptual, engineering contractor design documentation; - Design production support;
- Assist in the coordination of your documentation normalizing organizations;
- Consulting services;
- Drawings design according to the requirements of the Common system for design documentation.